You are the CEO of a successful domestic company. Recently, many prospective clients in foreign countries have expressed a desire to conduct business with you. You know that in order for your company to grow, you will have to expand overseas. You recently attended a local three-day international trade exposition and have gathered many brochures on the foreign companies interested in doing business with your company. After meeting with your executive committee, you decide that you will need to identify at least two countries for expansion and two expatriates to send into those countries. The selected expatriates will learn about the countries’ cultures and business activities. You must prepare a report for the employees who may want to take an overseas assignment, the executive committee, and the board of directors.
Use the Internet and Strayer Library to research possible countries for expansion. Next, conduct research on leveraging expatriates over country nationals for business overseas. Finally, research texts that could help expatriates in their transition to working overseas.
Note: You may make all assumptions needed to complete this assignment.Write an 8–10 page paper in which you:
- Create a guide to leveraging expatriates.
- The guide should include 4–6 sources that address benefits and challenges of sending expatriates to other countries.
- Examine the major benefits that this report can provide for the organization.
- Suggest two uses for the information contained therein. Justify your response.
- Analyze the major factors (distance, cultural background, knowledge of the related countries, languages spoken, relatives who may live in another country, etc.) that would influence your choice of countries into which your company would expand.
- Recommend two countries for expansion. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Determine three criteria that you would consider when deciding which employees to send abroad. Justify your response.
- Propose the major methods and/or incentives you would use to encourage the selected employees to become expatriates. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Recommend one strategy to ensure that both the executive committee and the board of directors are committed to the expansions. Justify your response.
- Recommend two texts that the selected expatriates should take overseas with them. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Outline a guide for expatriates who will live abroad for 1–2 years, covering selecting items to pack, accommodating a vehicle (leave behind or send overseas), shipping or selling furniture, moving pets, and arranging accommodations for family living in another country for the duration of their stay abroad.
- Develop a framework for your presentation. The framework should include the following:
- Relevant visuals.
- Statistics supporting the decision to expand into the identified countries.
- A feasibility study of your company’s proposed expansion to the identified countries.
- Information related to renting or buying land or a building.
- Any other information relevant to the case for expansion.
- Use at least four quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Create a global expansion strategy that addresses leveraging expatriates and ensuring commitment from leadership.