you need to read the book “Savage Inequalities” chapter 2 and 5
Please select one question from Set 1 and one question from Set 2. Answer each in 500 – 700 words. Please upload your answers on Blackboard here.
Chapter 2 “Other Peoples Children”
- Why is 8th grade graduation from Chicago such a big deal?
- Thus the state, by requiring attendance but refusing to require equity, effectively requires inequality. Compulsory inequity, perpetuated by state law, too frequently condemns our children to unequal lives.” (69) Explain this quote and provide your reaction.
- “A caste society violates the style of American democracy…Equality of educational opportunity throughout the nation continues today for many to be more a myth than a reality.” (80) Explain this quote and provide your reaction.
- What does money buy for children in Chicago’s suburbs? (93)
Chapter 5 “The Equality of Innocence: Washington, D.C.”
- Kozol quotes a a black South African social scientist who says this of the in-turned violence and hate among the people living in that country’s settlements: “If you degrade people’s self-respect on a daily basis, over centuries, you are bound to produce monsters” Explain what is meant by this quote.
- “There is no academic study of the pathological detachment of the very rich, although it would be useful to society to have some understanding of these matters.”
- Kozol states “Placing a black person in control of an essentially apartheid system—whether that system is a city or its welfare apparatus or its public schools—seems to serve at least three functions. ” List and explain them.
- Explain the difference between de jure segregation and de facto segregation