Your paper must be two to three pages in length, typed, double-spaced, and must be written about a concert attended this semester. The concert must be classical music, world music, or jazz.
NOTE: DUE TO THE PANDEMIC, IT’S UNLIKE THERE WILL BE A RETURN TO IN-PERSON LIVE PERFORMANCES. A VIDEO OF YOUR PERFORMANCE CHOICE IS ACCEPTABLE.
The paper should include the following:
1) The date and place of the concert attended and the name(s) of the performing group. A program from the concert must accompany your paper.
2) A description of the type of concert attended (opera, chamber music, symphony, jazz, etc.)
3) A description of the performance environment.
4) Significant historical facts about the performer, composer, and the compositions. (Select 1 or 2 works heard of particular interest)
5) A brief analysis of the musical elements – the instrumentation, the tempo, the structure or form of the composition (sonata form, rondo form, etc.) the harmonic texture, the meter, the tonality, the characteristics of the melody (stepwise melodic contour, large leaps, chromatic, sequential)
6) Your opinion about the quality of the performance.
7) A descriptive personal response.