Contains unread posts
Support from those around you is really important. They can give you the courage and support—emotionally, personally, and in other ways—that you need to continue in school. And now that you know more about your program, the support you have at University of Maryland Global Campus, and yourself as a learner, you have a clearer idea of what brought you here, why you are here, your personal and professional goals, and what support you have and need to achieve your goal of earning a degree.
For this week’s discussion you’ll put together a motivational speech that you would give to someone you are close to if they asked about your decision to enroll in the university right now. To prepare for your speech, review your Goals, Values, and Motivations assignment from Week 1. Think about why you are pursuing a degree, what it means to you, and how you will be supported to achieve your goals. Consider how achieving your academic goals aligns with your personal goals, motivations, and values.
Here are some important points to cover during your speech:
- How have you or your perspective changed since the first week of class?
- What did you learn about yourself?
- Why did you decide to go to school? Why now?
- Why did you choose the program you are in?
- What do you find interesting or exciting about your program?
- What do you hope to achieve as you pursue your degree? How about after you finish?
- What support is available at the university that you think will be important to you?
- What support do you need outside the university, from family or friends?
While you may choose the format for your motivational speech, be sure that it is in a narrative format and tells your story rather than answers each question individually. Your speech can be a written script, a PowerPoint presentation, or a video/audio recording.
Post your speech to the discussion forum by Sunday of Week 8 so others can benefit from your experience and perspective. Don’t forget to respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts to provide them with feedback and support.