The manager at James Otis Tax Associates has asked you to submit a report describing the technology hardware and software needed to build a computer network for the new office. The manager has asked you to describe the computer system for each new employee, including an explanation of the purpose for each selected technology component, and to identify specific software programs that the employees would need. He has also asked you to describe the security measures needed to support the systems. In your explanation, include how your knowledge of human-computer interaction (HCI) impacted your choices for each component.
The manager has provided the following employee descriptions:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA): The CPA is a senior position at a tax preparation company. The CPA will be not only handling sensitive customer data from personal tax returns but also preparing tax returns for corporate clients. The CPA is also responsible for the personal tax returns filled out by the tax and data-entry specialist employees.
- Tax Specialist: The tax specialist has the dual role of entering data and verifying that tax returns are correct. This position involves customer interaction in gathering data for minimizing taxes owed or maximizing tax refunds.
- Data-Entry Specialist: This position requires data entry for personal tax returns for customers who walk in the door. Although the data-entry specialist works with sensitive customer data, they do not have access to the tax returns once the returns are submitted to the tax specialist for review.
For each employee, you must:
- Describe all hardware components, including peripherals, needed to create the systems
- Identify specific software programs (more than one) that would be beneficial to each identified employee. Programs could include:
- Operating systems
- Applications such as:
- Office automation products
- Security products
- Describe security measures needed to support this system. Security measures could focus on:
- Administration and user passwords
Along with each description, explain the purpose of each technology component in each system. In your explanation, include how your knowledge of human-computer interaction (HCI) impacted your choices for components.
Finally, choose a network topology that could be used to connect all of the new employees identified by the manager. Create a Visio diagram to identify the networking equipment needed to enable the workflow between the employees.