For this project you need to plan ahead. You will need to attend a symphony orchestra concert, or chamber music concert in order to complete it. As long as it is a symphony orchestra concert, opera, or a chamber music concert, any event is OK. If you go to a chamber music concert, if possible, try to find a “professional” rather than “community” production. In any case, you must find a way to be able to see the orchestra at some point in the performance. You must stay for the entire concert. Do not leave at Intermission.
You are to write the equivalent of a 2-3 page report giving a review of the concert you attended. Your review must include the following:
- What kind of listener were you at the concert? Why?
- What pieces were performed?
- If there are multiple movements (as described in the “instrumental music” section of the Classical Period), each must be analyzed separately.
- What was the style of each of the pieces performed?
- What was the instrumentation of the orchestra?
- Draw out the seating arrangement of the instruments in the orchestra.
Analyze each piece played in the concert with following criteria from the course:
- Unity and Variety
- Structure of the Music
- Purpose of the Music
- Historical Period
Did you enjoy the concert? Why or why not?
Please submit your report online, by clicking Submit on the Submit Web Query Assignment page. You must include the concert program and your ticket stub to receive full credit. You can submit them at the start of class or leave them in an envelope in your instructor’s mailbox.