*** PLEASE USE THE RESOURCES PROVIDED ALONG WITH THIS REQUEST.
Answer the following questions, from readings, in “answer and question format”:
1. Many campus and advocacy groups are currently involved in struggles for a “living wage.” How do you think a living wage should be calculated?
2. Were you surprised by the casual reactions of Ehrenreich’s coworkers when she revealed herself as an undercover writer? Were you surprised that she wasn’t suspected of being “different” or out-of-place despite her graduate-level education and usually comfortable lifestyle?
3. Many of Ehrenreich’s colleagues relied heavily on family—for housing and help with child-care, by sharing appliances and dividing up the cooking, shopping, and cleaning. Do you think Americans make excessive demands on the family unit rather than calling for the government to help those in need?
4. Nickel and Dimed takes place in 1998-2000, a time of unprecedented prosperity in America. Do you think Ehrenreich’s experience would be different in today’s economy? How so?
5. After reading Nickel and Dimed, do you think that having a job—any job—is better than no job at all? Did this book make you feel angry? Better informed? Relieved that someone has finally described your experience? Galvanized to do something.
Part 2: Essay Format
In two pages (not including cover or reference pages), write an Essay that addresses your views on low wage workers need for a $15.00 minimum wage in the US, including making an argument for or against the $15.00 minimum wage. Students are expected to cite sources to support arguments and format citations and reference list using APA (American Psychological Association -sixth edition).
As you think about your argument for or against the $15.00 minimum wage, consider some of the following questions:
* What is a living wage? How much is it today? Is it really a living wage?
* Why do you think caused the pay gap between men and women and how can we close the gap?
* What are some of the challenges associated with organizing for increasing minimum wage to $15.00 an hour? Are some of the challenges specific to any low wage groups (i.e., women, young adults, elderly, or people disability, etc.) or industries (i.e., retail, restaurant, or domestic workers, etc.)
Florida Workers Want To Raise Minimum Wage To $15.00 https://news.wjct.org/post/florida-workers-want-raise-minimum-wage-15
VIDEO: Florida Minimum Wage Challenge: Florida Minimum Wage Challenge – Week 1